One of the keys to having healthy, attractive teeth is preventive dental care. Preventive dental care refers to going to the dentist twice per year for cleanings and exams, as well as following an at-home care routine that includes regular brushing and flossing. Proper preventive dental care can positively impact your overall health and lead to an attractive, healthy smile.
We provide preventative dental care in our Deerfield and Lakeview office locations
Book An Appointment
What is Preventive Dental Care?
Preventive dentistry or preventive dental care is dental care that helps you maintain good oral health. It involves a combination of regular dental checkups along with keeping up with good habits such as brushing and flossing. Additionally, preventive dental care is a term that you may see in your dental insurance plan, as many insurers will cover preventive visits such as regular cleanings, exams, and X-rays.
Deerfield and Lakeview Preventive Dental Services
Generally speaking, preventive dentistry includes services provided by our Chicago dentists to reduce the likelihood of contracting oral health conditions that are expensive to repair and uncomfortable to experience. These are some services that are considered to be preventive dental care.
- Diagnostic techniques are used to catch signs of oral problems early. These include oral exams and X-rays.
- Professional dental cleanings
- Sealants, also known as coverings that are applied to the top surfaces of permanent molars to prevent decay inside the tooth grooves
- Fluoride treatments
- Space maintainers for children
- Educational instructions provided by your dentist or oral hygienist
What are the Benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
Regular preventive dental exams provide you with the following benefits:
- Helps promote good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing your teeth twice per day and flossing every day
- Early identification of dental problems may minimize treatment costs
- Lowers your risk for developing tooth decay, gum disease, and more serious dental problems
- Helps reduce dental problems related to some chronic medical conditions. Diabetes, osteoporosis, certain types of cancer, and eating disorders can all affect dental and oral health.
What is Your Role in Preventive Dentistry?
Besides staying diligent about visiting our Deerfield and Lakview dentists for routine care every six months, there are additional steps you can take to ensure that your teeth stay healthy.
- Brush your teeth at least two times per day using a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to remove food that’s stuck in between your teeth before it turns to plaque.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products
- Use a mouthguard when participating in certain sports
- If you grind your teeth at night, ask your dentist about a nightguard.
- Avoid acidic foods that can harm tooth enamel
- Be careful with hard foods, such as candies, foods with bones, seeds, or pits
Visit Our Lakeview or North Short Dentist for Preventive Dentistry Services
Here at Smile On Dental Salon & Sleep Apnea Center, our dental professionals use the latest in oral health technology to take care of your preventive dentistry needs. To schedule your cleaning contact us at (773) 525-5545 (Lakeview) or (224) 282-8939 (North Shore).
Book An Appointment