Lakeview & North Shore Dentists Provide Dental Veneers With Precision
In just a few short appointments with our dentists, veneers can transform your smile. Porcelain dental veneers are a natural way to improve the appearance of your teeth. They are made of wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-covered materials and are bonded to your teeth, changing their color, size, shape, or length.
If you’re wondering, how do dental veneers work, the dentists at Smile On Dental Salon and Sleep Apnea Center have the answers. We have been providing North Shore and Lakeview residents with veneers for decades, and we are happy to answer your questions about the veneers process.
What are Veneers?
Dental veneers, also sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates, are ultra-thin custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of your teeth to improve your appearance. The veneers are bonded to the front of the teeth, which has the intended effect of changing their color, shape, size, or length.
When Do Chicago Residents Need a Veneer?
Dental veneers are commonly used to fix a variety of dental issues, including:
- Teeth that are discolored because of root canal treatment, excessive fluoride, or large resin fillings
- Teeth that are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped
- Teeth that are worn down
- Teeth with gaps between them
Types of Veneers
There is more than one type of dental veneer. They include:
- Porcelain: Porcelain is the most aesthetic and least harmful material available for dental restorations. It is also the strongest and longest-lasting. Remember, they are a permanent solution and require some tooth shaving before placement.
- Composite: These veneers are made of a composite resin, which is a mixture of inorganic and organic materials. They do not last as long as porcelain veneers.
- Removable: Also known as temporary veneers, removable veneers are easy to use and inexpensive. Unlike the other types of veneers, these veneers can be taken out at any time.
Getting porcelain veneers typically involves three trips to our Lakeview or North Shore dentist. The first trip will be a consultation, and the following two will be for making and applying the veneers. You can apply the veneers on just one tooth or multiple teeth at the same time.
What to Expect
During the veneer modeling appointment, our dentist will reshape the tooth surface and trim off the enamel. If you wish, your teeth will be numbed during this time. Next, our dentist will make a model, or impression, of your tooth. These are sent to a dental lab, which makes you veneers. Two to four weeks later, we will apply the veneers.
Durable and Long-Lasting
Porcelain veneers are a long-lasting, permanent solution to improve the appearance of your teeth. They typically last eight to 15 years.
Dental veneers require no special care. Of course, you should continue to follow good oral hygiene practices of brushing and flossing regularly.
Chicagoland’s #1 Veneer Dentist
Porcelain veneers are one of the many dental services that we provide at Smile On Dental Salon and Sleep Apnea Center. To schedule an appointment, contact our Lakeview dentist at 773-525-5545 or our North Shore dentist at 224-282-8939.