Dental implants offer patients a natural-looking, permanent solution to replace missing teeth. For many years, the only treatments available to people with missing teeth were bridges and dentures, but today, dental implants are a simple, affordable treatment that improves your smile.
At Smile On Dental Salon and Sleep Apnea Center, our pair of highly experienced and friendly dentists provides dental implants to both Lakeview and North Shore residents. Here is everything you need to know about our dental implant services.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. They provide people with a strong foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth. Whether your tooth has been lost to disease or injury, implants are strong, natural-looking, and durable. They are designed to last a lifetime.
How Do I Know If I Need a Dental Implant?
Because dental implants are a solution for missing teeth, if you have one or more missing teeth, you qualify for dental implants. You can also get ahead of the problem. If you have a tooth infection, it can be saved with certain dental procedures, but oftentimes, dental professionals will recommend that it be pulled. In cases such as these, you can skip the uncomfortable “toothless” period and go straight to having the implant installed.
Another reason why some people choose to get dental implants installed is as a replacement for dentures. While dentures have some advantages, some people get annoyed with their cleaning, their look, and their messiness. Implants have the major advantage of looking and feeling just like your natural teeth. You also need to take care of them in the same way you take care of your natural teeth, by brushing and flossing daily.
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants come in different sizes and types. Our dentist will help you determine which one is best for your needs. There are two main types of implants:
- Subperiosteal: This type of implant is placed under the gum but on or above the jawbone. It may be used in patients who do not have enough healthy natural jawbone and do not wish to undergo a bone augmentation process to rebuild it.
- Endosteal: These dental implants are placed into the jawbone. They are typically constructed of titanium and are shaped like small screws. This is the most common type of implant.
Benefits Over Other Treatments
There are a variety of advantages to dental implants, such as:
- Durability: They are very durable and last many years. Many will last a lifetime.
- Improved Self-Esteem: Compared to treatments like dentures, dental implants go a long way in helping you get back your smile and feeling better about yourself.
- Easier to Eat: Dentures can make chewing and eating difficult. On the other hand, implants function like natural teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without pain.
How to Care for Your Dental Implant
Caring for your dental implants involves the same steps that you take for your natural teeth. This includes:
- Dental check-ups
- Antibacterial mouthwash
Get in Touch with Dental Implant Dentists in the North Shore and Lakeview
Find out why our original Lakeview location was so successful we expanded to the North Shore by scheduling your dental implant today. Call our office at 773-525-5545 (Lakeview) or 224-282-8939 (North Shore).