Tooth straightening can be done by a dentist in several different ways. These days, the most popular treatments are braces and Invisalign. Many Chicagoland residents needing their teeth straightened have compared braces vs. Invisalign and have taken note of the pros and cons.
Making the decision between braces and Invisalign can be difficult, which is why our dentist at Smile On Dental Salon, serving both the North Shore and Lakeview, would like to lay out the advantages and disadvantages of each type of treatment.
Which is Better
Like many of the big decisions in life, there is no clear answer as to whether braces or Invisalign. Instead, the answer will vary from person to person, and there are a variety of factors to consider, including:
- Patient compliance
Pros of Invisalign
First, we’ll talk about the pros of choosing Invisalign, the newer solution to correcting teeth that are not straight.
- More attractive appearance: Many people who choose braces think they are unsightly pieces of metal on their teeth. In contrast, the main advantage of Invisalign is that they are effectively invisible. People hardly notice them.
- Remove anytime you want: A primary issue with traditional braces is that they are hard to clean. However, with Invisalign, you can remove them for cleaning whenever you want.
- More comfortable: Compared to braces, Invisalign trays exert gentler pressure, making them more comfortable.
Pros of Braces
- Patient compliance is 100 percent: Because braces cannot be removed, it ensures that they are going to stay in your mouth, ensuring maximum compliance.
- Address the roots: Traditional braces exert equal pressure on the entire tooth, including the roots. They push the tooth from top to bottom.
Advantages of Both
- Equivalent cost: Invisalign is comparable in pricing to braces.
- Coverage: Most dental insurance plans will cover both braces and Invisalign.
Cons of Braces
Of course, each solution also has some cons. We’ll start with the cons of braces.
- Uncomfortable and hard to clean: For many people, the main con of braces is that they are not comfortable to wear. Wearers also find that little bits of food can get stuck in between them, making them hard to clean.
- Unsightly: Even though they now come in different colors, the fact of the matter is that braces are still hunks of metal that sit on your teeth.
Cons of Invisalign
- Requirements to be effective: Patients must wear Invisalign for at least 22 hours every day. Unlike braces, you must remember to put them on every day and each time you take them off.
- Removing: You must remove Invisalign while eating which could be a hassle while eating out in public.
- Maintenance: You need to make sure to brush your teeth before putting Invisalign back on.
How to Decide Which is Best for you
Now that you know the pros and cons of each solution, you can weigh them against one another and determine which one is best for your individual situation. Overall, we find that more children are fitted with braces, while adults opt for Invisalign.
Get in Touch with Dentist Providing the Greater Chicago Area with Invisalign Treatments
Few teeth straightening options offer the same level of convenience, confidence, and comfort as Invisalign. We offer this service at our North Shore and Lakeview Smile On Dental Salon offices, and we are an Invisalign Preferred Provider.
Contact us today at (773) 525-5545 (Lakeview) or (224) 282-8939 (North Shore) to schedule an appointment.